Orchestrating the Line
Designed to take what you learn in orchestration textbooks and give you the tools, techniques and clear steps to harness your knowledge of orchestration so you can create detailed, organic and fluid orchestration like the greats: Ravel, Elgar, Tchaikovsky, Korngold and John Williams.
Have you studied orchestration but need a way to get your orchestrations sounding like those of Ravel, Rimsky, Korngold and John Williams? This is exactly what “Orchestrating the Line” was designed for.
I would buy this for the just the very first video. Absolute gold! If you’re serious about your craft, get this. – Gregory D. Moore
Many composers have expressed the same concern to me over the years: “I have studied orchestration, but my orchestrations still sound basic and always the same.”
So many want to be able to write like the greats, but clearly knowing your instrument ranges and chord voicings is not enough.
What did the great composers do? What techniques did they use? What steps did they take? How did they consistently work at that level? Is it just genius or can anyone learn this?
This is what “Orchestrating the Line” is for: to take your knowledge of orchestration and give you clear steps, tools, techniques and insights so you can create orchestrations like the masters.
You know the type of writing I mean; writing that seems to jump off the page and sounds so natural and organic, like all those notes are part of a puzzle and the orchestra seems to breathe together like a giant living thing.
master the MastersThrough nearly four hours of video lessons, “Orchestrating the Line” breaks down the techniques of the masters in a logical progression with clear explanations so you can master them one at a time and make them part of your musical language!
The techniques are then linked together in logical steps that follow and enhance the natural creative flow.
Real World WritingAnd what you will learn here is not an academic exercise but exactly how I think and work built from my own study of the masters! That’s what I am sharing with you.
Secret of the masters“Orchestrating the Line” focuses on the central element: the musical line. This is the secret to what the masters did! Seems so simple, and in some ways it is, and yet it is the most overlooked aspect of orchestration and the most important!
Future ScoreClub courses will complement this course and tackle middleground background elements such: orchestral textures, orchestral counterpoint, accompaniment, runs and more…
“Orchestrating the Line” is not a basic orchestration class and does not deal with instrument ranges, playing techniques and chord voicings. This is knowledge you should have as you embark on this course and learn to harness that knowledge into melody-based orchestration like Ravel, Rimsky Korsakovm Mussorgsky, Dukas, Korngold and John Williams!
RESULT DRIVENScoreClub is about building skills and treating music as a language in order to achieve mastery. The courses are all designed to go far beyond simply presentation, but aim for you to gain a full understanding and the steps and approach for you to ingrain that knowledge into your creative flow, and make it part of your language.
- Techniques from basic to advanced are clearly explained and demonstrated so orchestrators of every level can benefit
- Take a melody from its initial conception to a fully orchestrated line
- Specific steps to apply orchestration knowledge
- Carefully paced and logical presentation of the techniques
- Tips, tricks and insights on writing using shortscore
- Real-time on screen writing demonstrations with commentary to reinforce the techniques and conceptsPresented using hand writing and shortscore.
- Designed to support and enhance a natural creative flow
- Orchestration and arranging tools and formulas to use in your writing right away
- Gain valuable insights into the creative and working process from a working professional
- Move beyond observation to an understanding of the reasons behind the great orchestrators’ decisions
SUGGESTED PRE REQUISITES
- Music rudiments
- Knowledge of notation and reading
- Basic harmony and part writing (like Essential Composer here)
- Orchestration textbook or course
- Private student dashboard
- Lifetime access, including all future updates to the course
- Access to private student-only forum
|How to Get the Most from this Course||00:10:00|
|Initial thoughts & First Steps||00:14:37|
|BUILDING THE MAIN SOUND|
|THE THREE TYPES of OCTAVES||00:09:54|
|COMBINING OCTAVES & THICKENING||00:21:45|
|SHAPING THE PHRASE|
|SHAPING the DYNAMICS||00:15:15|
|PERCUSSION & MOVEMENT||00:14:14|
|PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER|
|FROM SHORT SCORE to FULL SCORE||00:20:15|
|OVER the SHOULDER No.1||00:21:30|
|OVER the SHOULDER No.2||00:16:36|
|OVER the SHOULDER No.3||00:15:21|
|APPROACH to ANALYSIS||00:20:56|